Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cloud Confusion: 3 Reasons for the Great Disconnect


Cloud Confusion: 3 Reasons for the Great Disconnect

Ever since Wakefield Research (who was commissioned by Citrix) released data from a cloud-computing survey, “cloud confusion” has been the topic of many articles.

Chances are, you’ve seen the infographic released by Citrix or you’ve read how the majority of people have no idea what the cloud is. Does this statistic sound familiar to you? Fifty-one percent of respondents from Wakefield Research’s survey believe weather can affect cloud computing.

To be honest, I laughed the first time I read these results. The second time I read the results, I was in disbelief. After all, 95 percent of people surveyed use some cloud computing service. By the third time I saw the facts, I was asking myself, “what is causing the big disconnect?” If so many people are using the cloud (anyone take advantage of some good Cyber Monday deals? Cloud computing makes online shopping possible) then how do people still not know what it is? I looked for an explanation in those articles, but found none. Therefore, I’m taking it upon myself to give some sort of clarification as to why so many people have no idea what cloud computing is all about.


  1.       Cloud computing isn’t talked about as much as it’s used. Although the actual technology of cloud has been around since the 1960’s, the widespread use of the term has just picked up in recent years. The first time I heard the term “cloud” on TV was in Microsoft’s Family Photo commercial promoting Windows 7.Yes, I realize this may not actually be the first time the cloud showed up in a commercial or on television and no, the commercial didn’t do a superb job of explaining what the cloud is. On a side note, it may have contributed more to the confusion. I actually had someone ask me if Microsoft was promoting a new computer called the Cloud. If the term cloud computing had been used more once the technology came into existence, it wouldn’t seem like such a foreign word.
  2.       It’s all in the name. Ok, this explanation may seem simple but you have to admit the term “cloud computing” is at least a little misleading. I mean, what do clouds and servers have in common anyway? Clouds store rain, not data. Servers store data. I can understand how someone who has never heard about cloud computing before might think it has to do with weather. What comes to mind first when you hear someone say, “They’re moving their data to the cloud?” Even though I work in the industry and know what this means, I still imagine someone floating up into the sky with a server in hand. Admit it, you do too.
  3.       Cloud computing is the back-up singer to other programs. This point sort of ties into number one. Cloud computing powers many of the programs people are using so it tends to fall into the shadows. Google Docs is a form of cloud computing, but users aren’t thinking about what is powering the program. To them Google Docs is just Google Docs. They write up their document, save it, send it and don’t think twice about where it went. The same for email and Facebook. Most people just log into their programs to accomplish their tasks, they don’t stop to think about what goes on behind the scenes. I like how Adobe’s new creative software offering is called, Creative Cloud. There’s no denying what technology is powering that software!

These are just a few of the factors I think contribute to the confusion people have about cloud computing. Time is most likely going to be the biggest factor here regarding the change in people’s perceptions and knowledge.  As the term cloud computing because more frequently used, people will begin to better understand how it works. I would love to hear any other ideas of why you think cloud computing is such a confusing topic and how and if the problem can be resolved.

- Emily Mepham 

- Published by Reviora / Cerulean - private managed cloud for Acumatica & Microsoft Dynamics CRM, NAV, GP, AX, SL

No comments:

Post a Comment